As we all know, chocolate, grapes, raisins and onions are high on the list of what not to let your dog eat. However there are others that are not always in the frame but are just as toxic. These include:
Animals can ingest hops either from plants in gardens, dried plant material in flower arrangements and even spent hops from the brewing process. However the latter presents the greatest risk. In dogs, symptoms include panting, restlessness and anxiety along with discomfort, due to a swollen stomach.
Like many of us, dogs seem to love whisky-based cream liqueurs. The onset of symptoms normally occurs within 1-2 hours, these include diarrhoea, vomiting, excitability and agitation. These are followed by depression, staggering, weakness, vocalisation and disorientation. In severe cases, convulsions may occur.
If dogs eat bread dough it expands the dough in the warm environment of the stomach, due to yeast fermentation, causing distension and obstruction and the production of ethanol. To prevent temptation, leave rising dough in a safe place, out of reach and out of sight of curious canines!
A toxic dose of these nuts is estimated at just 2 – 3 nuts for a labrador-sized dog! Symptoms include weakness, vomiting and diarrhoea, lameness and stiffness. Signs usually occur within 12 hours but can last for 24-48 hours.
Stored nuts can become contaminated with moulds, which can produce toxins. Dogs are particularly sensitive and even low level fungal toxins can be toxic to them. Symptoms include vomiting and diarrhoea, but more severe cases can lead to death within 3-7 days, due to liver failure. Mould is very poisonous to dogs even at low dose accumulative exposure. Symptoms are similar but milder and can therefore be assumed to be due to other causes. The best way of avoiding this type of poisoning is to keep all foods, including food waste bins, out of harms way.
Many of the peanut butters that come from the United States contain Xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. It is worth contacting the Veterinary Poisons Information Service so they can help with the exact brands which contain this ingredient. Another product that is often included in the budget ranges of Peanut Butter is Palm Oil. This can lead to stomach upsets and diarrhoea if fed in large quantities. So always check the label before you feed your four-legged friend their tasty Peanut Butter treat.
This is very often found in chewing gums and the ‘sugar-free’ foods that are now widely available. Dogs absorb xylitol quicker than humans. Symptoms, which include vomiting and convulsions, can appear within an hour.
Avocado leaves, bark and the fruit itself are all toxic to animals. Symptoms include diarrhoea and vomiting but the swallowing of an avocado stone can also cause stomach blockage.
If you think your dog may have eaten any of the items listed above,
please contact us immediately on 01553 771457.
We are always here for you, 24 hours a day – 365 days a year.
Written by Paula Grant – Communications Manager
Extracted from an article written by Jane Ellison BSc(Hons) that appeared in Practice Today – July/August 2018